Description & structure
TEF: Test d'Evaluation du Français / French Evaluation Test.
Click here to learn more about the test.
It's issued by the French Ministry of Education and remains valid for 2 years.
To learn more about the TEF Canada (for Canadian permanent residency and citizenship) requirements, click
TEF Québec (TEFAQ)
To learn more about the TEF Québec (for immigration to Québec) requirements, click
TEF French Citizenship
To learn more about the TEF Naturalisation (for French and Swiss citizenships) requirements, click
TEF French Residency
To learn more about the TEF Carte de résident (for French resident card) requirements, click
Your registration will be completed once we receive both your form and payment.
On the day of the exam, we will take a picture of you to confirm your identity.
By registering and paying for the examination, you agree to our terms and
of the TEF examination and you certify that you have read all the necessary documents.
You won’t be able to enter the exam if you don’t have the ID you signed up with on the form or if you arrive after the exam
The biggest part of the exam will be on computer, at the Alliance française of Edmonton.
sessions & registration dates
Unless clearly advised otherwise, all exams are organised at the Alliance française of Edmonton location,
where you will be asked to respect our COVID-19 Guidelines. Your complete registration (form + payment) needs to be received, at the latest,
10 days before your exam date.
- Friday, June 4th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, June 22nd, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Friday, June 25th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, June 29th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Friday, July 2nd, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, July 13th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Thursday, July 15th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, July 20th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Thursday, July 22nd, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, July 27th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Thursday, July 29th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, August 3rd, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Thursday, August 5th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, August 10th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Thursday, August 12th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, August 17th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Thursday, August 19th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Tuesday, August 24th, from 10am to 1:30pm
- Thursday, August 26th, from 10am to 1:30pm
This website is still in development and there might be some bugs or glitches, we thank you for your patience
and we will be happy to answer your questions and help you register on the phone.
Read about the requirements for your situation, our policies and the candidate guide available
out the registration form,
at least 10 days before your exam date.
Choose the right exam.
- Proceed with online payment or call us to pay over the phone.
Your registration is now complete! You will receive an email from us a week, at the latest, before your exam, with the
instructions and details.
- If you have any questions or didn't receive the email, please call (780) 469-0399.
How to prepare
Prep courses (not a language course). We offer 2 prep courses in collaboration with PrepMyTef:
On your own: you will have access to a dedicated website with mock tests, grammar and vocabulary lessons and pointers for
the test…) .
With a teacher: you will also have access to this dedicated website, but we will add 2 hours of private course with a
teacher (who also happens to be a certified examiner for the TEF) to give you an opportunity to work on the Writing and Speaking parts of
the exam. Contact us if you'd like to book one!
Private classes: personalised training and flexible scheduling, private tuition is a great way to get ready before your exam. Click
here to learn more.
Familiarize yourself with the sample questions available there: Reading,
Writing, Speaking, Vocabulary and Structure.
Use the tutorials to familiarise
yourself with the oral comprehension and expression sections of the TEF (in French).
Download the Français 3.0 mobile
- Our multimedia library stocks books to help you prepare for the TEF.
Your results will be communicated by email 4 to 6 weeks after the exam. The virtual certificates will be sent directly
by Paris CCI to the email address you registered with.
- Listening: multiple choice questions, computer-based - $110
- Reading: multiple choice questions, computer-based - $110
- Speaking: face-to-face with an examiner, mandatory recording - $130
- Writing: computer-based - $110
- Lexicon and structure: computer-based - included in the full exam.
- Full Exam - $380